In today’s up-and-down job market and shaky economy, there are few career fields that are as consistent as the field of Information Technology. As a branch of engineering, Information Technology, specializes specifically in using computer technology and telecommunications technology to transmit, translate and store various types of information- although there are a ton of other types of jobs that do fall under the Information Technology umbrella.
What exactly does Information Technology entail?
Essentially information technology is all about using information as a commodity or resource, just like any other job. The information that is being translated, disseminated, stored, transmitted, etc. is usually in the forms of audio, video, textual and numerical information and is processed through the use of microelectronics and computers.
The field of Information Technology is usually used to describe a whole series of jobs, but in reality, there are tons of jobs that are called Information Technology jobs, but are actual part of a subcategory like Management Information Services and Information Services.
Once upon a time, the Information Technology center of a business would have been composed of just one guy sitting at a computer all day. But, as computer technology has advanced, and information has become more valuable, the Information Technology center grew with it. Now, a company will either have a gigantic IT center, or they may need so many specialists that they actually contract out the Info-tech needs to an entirely separate company. Now, in order to successfully run an Information Technology center, a company would need at least a database management system, a cryptographer, some system administrators, some database administrators, at least one information manager and a Chief Information Office (CIO,) who is the head honcho of the whole shabang.
The Top 10 Technical Skills Needed for a Career in Information Technology
The following is a list of the most common skills, knowledge and experience that is needed for a job in the Information Technology career field. Because Information Technology relies so much on information and keeping it secure, it is imperative to have a good grasp on things like programming languages, operating systems and management expertise.
1. Unix Operating System knowledge
2. Linux Operating System knowledge
3. Java Language Programming experience
4. C++ Language Programming experience
5. Perl Language Programming experience
6. MySQL Database Management expertise
7. Microsoft C# Language Programming experience
8. XML- Extensible Markup Language skills
9. HTML skills (advanced)
10. Project Management abilities
Information Technology Knowledge Requirements
Depending on what type of job you are looking for, you will probably need either a degree or at least some kind of technical certificate in order to land a job in the Information Technology sector. Here is a list of some of the most common degrees and technical certificates that are required in order to have a job in the field of Information Technology:
● CISSP certificate (Information Security)
● ISSAP certificate (Information Security)
● ISSEP certificate (Information Security)
● Oracle Database Administration certificate
● Microsoft Information Specialist certificates
● Cisco Information Specialist certificates
● Doctoral or Professional degree in Computer and Information Research Science (for high-level jobs)
● Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Programming (for mid-level jobs)
● Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Systems (for mid-level jobs)
● Associate’s Degree (for low-level jobs)
The Jobs and The Salary
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Information Technology field is growing faster than the average career, which means an Information Technology specialist would be in high-demand right out of school. Here are a few of the jobs, the growth of that job in the future and the average salaries you can expect for an entry-level position in that job:
|Computer and Information Research Scientist||19% /year||$100,660|
|Computer Programmer||12% /year||$71,380|
|Computer Support Specialist||18% /year||$46,260|
|Computer Systems Analyst||22% /year||$77,740|
|Database Administrator||31% /year||$73,490|
|Information Security Analysts, Web Developers and Computer Network Architects||22% /year||$75,660|
|Network and Computer Systems Administrators||28% /year||$69,160|
|Software Developers||30% /year||$90,530|
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- A.A. in Information Technology
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Doctor of Mgmt/IS and Technology
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Information Technology (BS)
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its seven colleges: Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Undergraduate Studies, The Art Institute of California and Western State College of Law as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Information Technology (BS) (Online)
- Information Technology (AS) (Online)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Information Technology (BS)
- Information Technology - Database Administration Specialization (BS)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- MSc in Information Systems Project Management
- Master of Science in Information System Management
- And more...
DeVry University provides quality education that employers respect, and is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association (ncahlc.org), the same organization that accredits many other well-known public and private schools.
- Bachelor's - Technical Management
- Bachelor's - Computer Engineering Technology
- Bachelor's - Computer Information Systems - Database Management
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Information Technology
- AAS in Information Technology
- MS in Management - Information Technology
- And more...
Follow an educational path that matches your interests - at Sanford-Brown College Online, anytime, anywhere. Through our career-focused degrees and student-centered support, you can achieve your personal vision of success. We foster a friendly, collaborative environment where everyone is ready to help and rooting for your success.
Our training is personalized to fit your goals. You can learn from experienced professionals and develop essential skills. And when you’re close to graduating, Career Services offers a range of support.
We offer a variety of programs through the Schools of Sanford-Brown College Online:
- IADT School of Design
- School of Technology
- School of Business
Meet your future at Sanford-Brown College Online.
- Associate of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- BS in Business in Information Management Systems: Intelligence
- AA in Business Management Information Systems
- Undergraduate Certificate in Data Networking
- And more...